DETAILED INVESTIGATION FOR THE SEARCH OF
PLATINUM GROUP OF METALS IN THE GRANITIC
COMPLEX AROUND IKAUNA-DANGLI AREAS,
The rock types of the area include biotite-feldspar Gneiss, chlorite schist, talc actinolite schist, diorite, quartz vein, dolerite and epidote-bearing mafic rock. Ikauna-Dangli area consists of schistose rocks, which are highly sheared and deformed, and major shearing direction is E-W. Ultramafic and mafic lenses are wrapped by sheared schists and stretched in E-W direction. General trend of the rocks is E-W. NE-SW direction is represented by quartz & apatite vein and dolerite dykes. Some dolerite dykes are found in NNE-SSW. Shear zones are indicated by mylonitisation, chloritisation. These shear (PLATINUM. GOLD &
SILVER BEARING ROCK)
indicators are associated with platinum, gold & silver bearing peridotite and gold bearing diorite.
(PLATINUM, GOLD & SILVER BEARING ROCK)
• Platinum, Gold &Silver bearing rocks are identified as Peridotite, Talc actinolite Schist & Chlorite Schist.
• Peridotite,Talc actinolite Schist& Chlorite Schist are found in 2 km strike length and width varies from
200-50 m in the East while in the West, several lenses are found in 1.5km strike length.
• The rocks of the area contain Platinum (upto 2.78 g/t), Palladium (upto2.02g/t), Iridium (upto7.02g/t),
Rhodium (upto7.74g/t), Ruthenium (upto 1.94g/t), gold (upto 3.4g/t) and silver (upto 3.61 g/t).
• Platinum wire glows red hot when placed in the vapor of methanol - acting as a catalyst to convert
the alcohol into formaldehyde. This phenomenon has been used commercially to produce cigarette
lighters and hand warmers.
• Sealed electrodes in glass systems
• Laboratory vessels, corrosion-resistant equipment
• Use in antipollution devices in cars
• Cw-platin, [PtCl2(NH3)2], is an effective drug for leukaemia and testicular cancer
• Iridium is used to make crucible and devices requiring high temperature.
• Wire and vessels for laboratory use
• Thermocouple elements
• Coating missile nose cones, jet engine fuel nozzles
• Ruthenium is the most effective hardners for platinum & palladium
• Ruthenium of 0.1 % addition in titanium improve the corrosion resistance upto 100 times.
• Platinum/osmium 90/10 alloy is used in implants such as pacemakers and replacement valves
• The alloy of platinum & iridium is used in electric contacts