PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATION OF
GEMSTONE (DIAMOND) IN KALINGER AREA
The area under investigation lies near U.P. -M.R border about 65 km. south of Banda on Banda -Satna
road, is covered by 3 -15m
thick alluvium. Granite
gneisses of Bundelkhand Gneissic Complex are the main country rock,which at places intruded by basic rocks. NE- SW trending quartz reefs are also present . On the Kalinger hillock Baghain sandstone of Kaimur group unconformably lies on the
A diamond grain of 0.44 carat is recovered from the potential zone of Pit-3 which indicate that the gravel bed in palaeo channel of Baghain river of U.P. is also diamondiferous.
• Gravel bed is similar to the diamondiferous gravel bed of Kauhari and Sirsa areas ofM.P.
• Continuity of gravel bed is established up to a strike length of about 1.30 Km.
• The presence of Kimberlite /lamproites is being investigated in the area.
Diamonds are used in jewelry & decorative purposes because of following properties
• Brilliance - the ability to reflect light.
• Fire - the ability to refract or bend light rays and disperse light into the colors of the light spectrum.
• Scintillation - the ability to "twinkle" when the diamond is moved.
Diamond is the most important industrial abrasive; hard enough to cut superhard materials with the precision, speed and economy that industry requires. Uses:
• Lapidary for grinding or polishing gems, optics and glass.
• Drill bits.
• Surgical equipment.
• Saws for cutting resistant materials.